Healthy People, Healthy Carolinas is in its early phase, but the initiative is based on several key principles:
- Community health challenges are longstanding and complex and cannot be effectively or efficiently addressed by organizations acting alone.
- Social determinants of health – including socioeconomic factors, lifestyles and behaviors – influence the burden of illness.
- Communities that use formal quality improvement methods, address health disparities, enact policy changes and apply evidence-based interventions have the potential to achieve the greatest impact.
- Community engagement in health decision-making is critical to improving community participation in health promotion and disease prevention efforts.
- Supporting integration of effective practices into schools and community organizations is important.